St. John's Cemetery Project
The St John’s Cemetery Project is work Div 10 has been doing, repairing and restoring old gave stones damaged in the cemetery do to age, weather or vandalism. Many of the monuments are a 100 years old or older marking the resting place for many Irish immigrants who settled in the South Trenton neighborhoods. The work is professionally supervised by Abbey Rose Monuments who also donate equipment and materials.
St John’s Cemetery is the cemetery for Sacred Heart Church which was formerly St John’s RC Church. Built in 1814 on the corner of Lamberton and Market Sts., Trenton, St John’s was the first Catholic Church in New Jersey and was destroyed by a fire in 1883. To replace St. John’s Church and to accommodate especially the large influx of Irish immigrants, the construction of Sacred Heart Church began in 1884. Construction was completed in 1889 at 343 South Broad St, Trenton where it still exists today.
The project is an ongoing labor of love for Joseph Cahill, Div#10. Please see the pictures of the work which has been done on the project by members.